Friday, July 14, 2006

Kate Bosworth/Megaman/A Keeper of Sheep

Kate Bosworth



Ok, so here's the summer and another comic book movie hits our screens , this time supergirl! Huh, whatdaya mean it's not Supergirl, it's got Kate Bosworth in it? Why would anyone make a film with 'Super' in the title and her in the cast and not make Supergirl. Next you'll be telling me she's brunette in it.

Yes alas, the movie is indeed Superman, and 'men not so super' once again show the folly of mankind by miscasting Kate.
Oh well, apparently Misha Barton is in the running for the Supergirl remake if this Homoerotic claptrap does well at the box office. Not a total loss then.

Spidergirl anyone?

Staria Iscariot (Megaman)



In the mid 80's i spent nearly ever tuesday evening after my school swimming lessons in a chip shop near me pouring 20ps into an arcade machine with my best friend Stephen. The game was Double Dragon and between the two of us we backwards elbow upcutted our way to the end of the game.
Somehow the other night I found myself on 'Overclocked Remix'- the unoffical game music arrangement community, which funnily enough does exactly what it says, they remix old game music. I found some Double Dragon remixs on there but the one i liked most was by a remixer called 'Injury' or possibly 'Staria Iscariot'...hard to tell...and it's a remix of the music from Mega Man. It's also from 2001, so this post is anything but up to date.

It brings it all back. The smell of chips, the damp hair, the lack of money and going home with aching thumbs.

MP3: Staria Iscariot (injury) - Megaman: Set me up the Bomberman



William Carpenter - A Keeper of Sheep



A young woman called Penguin who "has never even been responsible for a hamster," becomes involved in caring for a composer who is dying of AIDS and struggling to complete his final work whilst under increasing pressure from his neighbours.

I bought this book many years ago whilst holidaying in Norfolk in a place called Beccles. The Bookshop in the tiny village was one of the ones you don't see much nowadays, small, pokey, dusty and riddled floor to ceiling with books nobody will probably ever buy. I read this in the stillness of a static houseboat, stopping every now and again to row up and down the river, it's a beautiful book from what I remember and I must go and dig it out and reread it. Somehow I think it captured a moment for me then though that canot be repeated, a moment of isolation yet quiet enlightenment about life.

Having said all that I also remember accidently lobbing a fish slice into the river trying to swat a spider out of the window.

(Read Unread Reading)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home