Monday, July 17, 2006

Haylie Ecker/Simian Mobile Disco/Dangerous Book for Boys

Haylie Ecker



What happened to bond? And more especially Haylie Ecker(far left) from Bond?

They were seen as the equivalent of lapdancers to the Classical fraternity, with their heady mix of Classical instruments and semi naked flesh. I quite liked the first album, despite it’s appalling Abbaesque cover photo and it’s Vanessa Mae pastiche style…but then I’ve never been a big fan of the way classical music is presented and I think the whole sector needs re-branding anyway, I felt they were a breath of fresh air at the time.

Here’s a very brief extract from an interview I did once with them:

What would you say to your critics within the classical fraternity who perceive you as the ‘Girls Aloud’ of classical music?

"I cant believe anyone in the classical fraternity have ever heard of Girls Aloud ( you've made it up!! - from Haylie) and there is no parallel....... we were once called the classical Spice Girls but it didn't stick - sadly!!"

Shame they were put together by Mike Batt - the chap who gave us the Wombles and Katie Melua – because that scuppered any credibility they would ever have.



Simian Mobile Disco



Simian? Simian? I'm sure I had one of their albums once, wasn't their song on some advert...I forget. Anyway old indie bands aside this spin off band/dj kinda thing is much more interesting. 'Hustler' blips and grinds away like the kind of track that goes down a storm post 2am in lesbian bars arcoss the capital, like being surrupticiously molested by a old spectrum computer in a Missy Elliot track suit. A reviewer from CD times described it like this:

'Hustler drops in with a bassline heavy enough to crush your kid brother and dripping with so much glorious sleaze you'll need to wash your hands twice after pressing play'

I need to point out that my kid brother is quite tall, so it may dent rather than crush. I'd agree with the hand washing though.

MP3: Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler


Conn Iggulden - The Dangerous Book for boys



Can't help feeling 'Con Iggulden' has to be anagramatic, surely no-one has a name like that?
I overheard someone at work recommending this book to a friend for his sons, as a father/son bonding style book. It's like a cub scout/SAS survival guide book on everything a young man should know, from writing secret messages to skinning a rabbit.
I'm tempted to buy it now and learn everything so my son, now 2, will be dead impressed when I can do all these 'man' tasks. I have a feeling though he'll be too busy downloading informercials directly into his cerebral cortex and having his retinas tattooed to even pretend to be interested by then.

(Read Unread Reading)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home